h1

Maintenance Log

Chronological log of repairs and maintenance on s/v/ Bruja Dulce

Rudder Repair – July 2007

Notes: This was actually a repair of a previous repair. The eight holes were already there and had begun to leak. I removed the previous repair and laid 8 layers of fiberglass with polyester resin to fill the holes. After fairing, the entire rudder got 5 coats of epoxy water-barrier and 3 coats of bottom paint.

Rudder Drying/Sealing – July 2007

rudder drying

Notes: Released liquid water which had infiltrated an empty cavity within the hull near the rudder mounts, used my deep vacuum pump to draw the cavity down to -25 inHg- evacuating as much moisture as possible, then used the deep vacuum pump again to assist in filling the cavity with thinned laminating epoxy.

Engine Temperature Sensor – August 2007

Happypoxy

Notes: The last component we thought might fail, did. 31 years old at the time, the solid-state, spark plug-looking “thermistor” temperature sensor that screws into the engine block failed in such a way as to feign an actual engine overheating. This brass fitting, epoxied to the top of the thermostat, filled with olive oil and measured with a BBQ meat thermometer proved that the engine was not overheating.

Hull Repair

fiberglass topography
Work Dates: February – March 2009

Notes: Major fiberglass hull repair. After all the dust settled, 7 interior and 17 exterior layers of fiberglass were laid on the prow and 12 exterior layers along the forefoot of the keel- all using polyester resin. 4 coats of epoxy water-barrier and 3 coats of bottom paint finished the job. The best fiberglass work will go completely unnoticed….

Hull Drying/Sealing

hull moisture evacuation
Work Dates: February – March 2009
Location: s/v Bruja Dulce
Status: Complete

Notes: Released liquid water which had infiltrated an empty cavity within the hull near the rudder mounts, used my deep vacuum pump to draw the cavity down to -25 inHg- evacuating as much moisture as possible, then used the deep vacuum pump again to assist in filling the cavity with thinned laminating epoxy.

Lazarette Rebuild


Work Dates: April – May 2009
Location: s/v Bruja Dulce
Status: Complete

Notes: Epoxy-coated Hydrotek Meranti Plywood, Oiled Teak, and Copper. A complete bulkhead and floor rebuild, shelving re-design, and relocation of mechanical systems.

Dickinson Diesel Heater w/B99 Biodiesel

whirly stoker

Date: February, 2010
Notes: B99 Biodiesel doesn’t always burn properly in a Dickinson diesel-burning heater. I made two earnest attempts to fabricate something which would “stoke” the biodiesel to burn better. I called it the “Whirly-stoker” because it was supposed to whirl… and ..stoke the flame. I would have made a third attempt but Spring came.

Coolant Pump Replacement


Date: March 25th, 2010
Time: 4 hours minimum.
Cost: Used spare that came with the boat- replacement spare will be $400
Notes: When the main shaft seal goes pump on this pump, you lose about a gallon of coolant per hour at temperature- very disabling: keep a spare pump.

Raw-Water Pump Replacement

Date: March 30th, 2010
Time: 3 hours minimum.
Cost: Used spare that came with the boat- replacement spare will be $400. Shaft seal kit is $100.

Notes: When the main shaft seal goes pump on this raw water pump, it is a warning. It will leak in operation and drip-drain the raw water line at a stop. This could wear your impeller out quickly. Sad to say, but, this one was leaking for approximately 60 hours of operation over the course of 4 months.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: